Sarah Jones

Ask the Planning Expert

In this month’s The Farmer supplement our Planning Expert and Partner, Paul Middleton, was asked the question:

Do I need planning permission to re-build my home if I’m demolishing the old house on the site?

Here is his answer…

The Future of Farm Subsidies

When English farmers sit down to look at their BPS claim in the Spring, they’ll be pleased to know that they can throw away their calculator. The 2021 BPS claim has been simplified so you will no longer need to provide Crop Diversification or Ecological Focus Areas (EFAs). This is a welcome relief for farmers who felt the struggle of meeting the three crop rule or finding enough hedges to meet the EFA requirements. Cross border claims are now a thing of the past and you will need to submit each claim to each paying agency individually from 2021 onwards.